Elementary School Carnival Ideas

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Principals against rewarding students that sell fundraising products


There are principals against rewarding students who sell fundraising items.  I've been racking my brain to try to understand it and I think I finally do. 

This came about by a discussion with a principal who did not want to reward students for hitting a certain sales goal on a product fundraiser.  I was taken back until I figured it out.

It's about the action and not the result.  It's like this and please chime in (leave a comment or catch up with me on twitter) for me if I am off base. Principals want to encourage a group, not an individual.

Makes sense to me.  So, instead of taking the approach that the individual seller raising a lot, the approach is about the group doing what they can and not singling people out.  

A principal's world view must be about the school in its entirety.  A sum of parts that creates one whole.  Encouraging individual efforts is just not in the agenda.  Makes sense.

I think I get it now.  Unfortunately, that's not a path to fewer or more profitable fundraisers but I'm just glad I get it.

Please chime in!


No comments: