Elementary School Carnival Ideas

Monday, June 6, 2011

What's the Deal with Mega-Fundraisers?

It seems that a recent trend to raise very significant dollars to prevent schools from serious layoffs is becoming more common.  

Districts that have seen the successes of Cupertino and the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District and at least one schools have recently launched significant fundraising campaigns.

School District Seeks $1M in Donations to Save Teaching Jobs

In my experience, communities will rally around this type of desperate need.  

But one thing in particular caught my attention.  The comment by “[We] are not interested in ‘crisis fundraising’—it’s problematic and unpredictable.”

What in the world is crisis fundraising?

I would imagine that's supposed to be crisis funding.  Regardless, I'm going to look into that.  Let me know if you have any good resources to find out more about it.

I think schools that need crisis funding should apply for it and deal with the problems associated with it. I really think schools have enough challenges fundraising for supplies, technology, books and field trips let alone teachers salaries.  I'm sure the debates regarding school budgets and shortfalls, particularly in California will continue but I certainly hope the mega fundraising trend doesn't.

__________________________

Keep the conversation going!  Email me, write me, twitter me, leave comments for me!  Share me!

Elementary School Fundriasing
Elementary School Fundraising Blog
Twitter.com/BelieveKids
Facebook.com/BelieveKids

No comments: