Elementary School Carnival Ideas

Friday, August 24, 2012

Solving the School Funding Problem with Corporate Advertising

Corporate Advertising in Schools
Solving School Budgets with Corporate Advertising

The big problem is school budgets are being cut across the country. The question becomes how schools should address and replace budgets.  Will government step up?  Should parents flip the bill?  Should schools allow advertising in schools?  Will organized school fundraising save the day?

All good questions. Here is an article that talks about the concerns of corporate sponsorship of schools and you should read it:

Cash-Strapped Schools Turn to Businesses for Help, Sparking Concerns

Opening the flood gates and allowing advertising to influence small children is commonly referred to as a 'marketer's dream'.  There are, however, advocates against advertising to children on the basis that they are particularly vulnerable.  Anyone with children will attest to the fact that they do get very excited by advertising.

My children in particular watch movies and on demand stuff.  They don't see many commercials.  The first commercial they saw was a Fur Berries commercial and boy did I hear about it as they came running to me to ask for one with a level of excitement rarely seen.

So, I've chosen to limit exposure to my children in terms of the branding they receive.  I like things though and I pass them on.  I am not interested in having branding take hold of my kids in areas I don't approve of but advertising is powerful.

There really is a dilemma here as schools consider opening up their schools to ads.  They are particularly easy to influence.  Still, there is advertising in schools already.  Scholastic for example, publishes books for book fairs.  These books are used as fundraisers to earn money for libraries, etc.  The products are not anonymous as their logo is on the books, signage, displays and cash register.  They are branding in schools with enormous success. 

The flip side witnesses companies like Coca-cola being criticized for trying to influence children's developing minds before their time.

I understand the need for revenue.  I don't think kids should be unduly exposed to advertising and branding in schools.  I just don't know what sort of policies and approaches make sense given the likely future partnerships between business and education.

In the end, the debate will go on.  What thoughts do you have?  Comment here or track me down at twitter.com/believekids

Ok, until next time!

SOURCE: A Fine Line When Ads and Children Mix

No comments: