Elementary School Carnival Ideas

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Building Momentum - Social Media and building a PLN

Eric Sheninger - esheninger.blogspot.com
Principal Eric Sheninger's post Building Momentum outlined several points about how and why Social Media and building a PLN has changed his point of view.

To sum up his take on it, the four areas of improvement are:
1. 
Communication
2. Branding
3. Professional Development/Growth
4. Opportunity

There are a few added benefits that Social Media and creating a PLN (personal learning network) that were not explored in his post.  Because I am very passionate about technology, social media and my PLN I thought we could explore these ideas together and see what revelations can be found.

Here are my additions:

1) Cohesiveness
Social media and PLN's seem to be creating groups of individuals that share the same passions.  Education reform, edtech, collaborative learning, paperless classrooms all represent ideas that, when searched out, become apparent.

Finding a group with similar needs has always and continues to develop excellence in certain areas.  For just about anything a person is interested in, there are groups out there of people that are already connected and moving their cause or idea forward.

2) Friendship
Having real flesh and blood friends is pretty cool.  There was a time recently where folks were anonymous on the web.  Now that everything's changed, you stand the chance of actually taking online friends from largely anonymous interactions to flesh and blood friendships.

Today, meetups, tweetups, conventions and events allow people from various parts of the world to mingle and meet - in person.  It's new and different, and real.  People from across the country who would only write letters to each other are now meeting face to face knowing what they are really about.

3) Education
For every person that encounters a circle of friends on social media or runs into an established set of like-minded individuals, it's hard not to learn something.  Generally, the discussions are poinient and powerful and really, not basic.  Running into a group of experts is a great learning experience.

I believe people exposed to a group that is at a higher level learns fast.  I am a proponent for the paperless classroom not because I don't like printing.  It's because I ran into the TeachPaperless blog through a number of conversations on twitter.  I nearly consider myself an expert in the area because of the wealth of knowledge I received in short order - no joke.

4) Inspiration
There is inspiration found in the sweaty brow of an athlete at game time.  I'm not much of a sports fan but there just is.  Similarly, an educator who is 'in the zone' so to speak has an energy and enthusiasm for what they believe in as well.

I am inspired by the educators and suppliers that provide energy and insight.  When I was in school, only a hand-full of teachers were requested by students wanting to get in their classrooms.

Online, I feel like everyone I run into is that teacher you go out of your way to get into their class - that's inspiration!

Become an Elementary School (K-5) Teacher blogger

No comments: