Elementary School Carnival Ideas

Friday, May 28, 2010

Stop Multitasking and Get More Done!


Sounds strange.

We all multitask. We have lots of little pieces of things going on every day. We bounce back and forth and like the mosaic tiles above, many little pieces make up the whole of our days.

My computer will attest to this. I am the guy with programs sprawled across two monitors. Surprisingly, I've been focused in a new way based on several blog posts I've read lately.

___________________

Read this one example - How (and Why) to Stop Multitasking
___________________

These posts all have different takes on multitasking but I prefer to think about it this way: The human brain, similar to a computer can really only do one thing at once - even those these various computations happen extraordinarily fast, there is an amount of time required to go from one things to another.

This transit time between activities I affectionately call as a time-waster.

I go back and forth on my computer for instance between the things I am working on and make progress here and there. I do spend time switching between activities so to speak.

So, I've given all this quite a bit of thought and have a renewed sense of getting things done. I've changed my ways. Now, If I start a task that needs attention through the day I will leave it going but if I have a few things that need to get done I bust them out one after another without interruption.

Now, task-oriented people are probably laughing at me because they've figured this out long ago. But as more of an artist and entrepreneur, most of my life has been focused around being good at juggling all these various tasks.

It was quite refreshing doing something from start to finish and once I got over the anxiety involved with actually sticking to the task, things were great.

So, multitasking will remain a part of my life. I need to be able to focus in a lot of areas. It's just that now, I finish a lot more of them before moving on.

No comments: